How durable are 716 mk’s

All Pinzgauer drivetrain related issues
chugga90

How durable are 716 mk’s

Post by chugga90 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Afternoon All,

Having wanted one of these for years and getting closer to realising
Now having nagging doubt how robust they are?
Recently read a section on a Land Rover forum - Best or ultimate off roader!

Many interesting ideas, but the ones who suggested a Pinzgauer, added that they were to fragile.

Only real information on this was the chassis tube fracturing or cracking.

Now I have no plans to climb a mountain with one, neither tow a land mass to a new location.
It would be for light entertainment off roading. Towing maximum of two tons for work tasks and for want of better description my plaything.

What I do not want is to be forever repairing it or parking it up until I can afford to replace the current failures?

Please could you put my mind at rest? Then I just need to find and be able to afford it!
Thanks
Barry

Joeri

Re: How durable are 716 mk’s

Post by Joeri » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi
There is no way Any Land rover or whatever can do what a pinzgauer can do....ive had these talks with land rover guys manny time and most of them are living in a different world....they are all crazy about there landrovers almost brainwashed, always talking about suspension travel , horse power , cameltrophy And so on.....you give up after some time.....BUT the fact is that there land rover can' t follow a pinzgauer off road....
jou should check out some testing video's on youtube about the pinzgauer.

[Url]https://youtu.be/Yv_gSRiXCH0[\url]

[Url]https://youtu.be/ES9rw9zGDxA[\url]

I think they are still angry becouse the u.k marines swaped there landrovers 101 for pinzgauers :mrgreen:

chugga90

Post by chugga90 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:30 pm

I have no doubt of the ability of a Pinzgauer, would not use a quarter of its ability.
Have had two very good Landcruisers. Numerous Suzuki SJ’s and other types of 4x4.
Have had far more Land Rovers than normal cars, but can no longer tolerate JLR attitude.
My current Discovery 4 is my last LR.

Would running a Pinzgauer be less expensive and pain free?
Thanks

Joeri

Post by Joeri » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:36 am

Well I drive a 716k as a daily driver...on and off road , my first 4x4 was a 110 lr with 2.5 petrol engine.....had to swap 3 gearboxes then sold the damn thing , bought a Ford Bronco II ....had the most fun in this one, but it was heavy modified ...sold it and bought a Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 td...verry strong engine but riding it telt Like sitting on a skateboard...sold it. ..bought 3 Mercedes G wagons...2x 300gd Nice cars but to tame....one 280G long wheelbase....nice car but sold them ...bought a unimog 406 130hp 6 cyl diesel....strongest Thing i've had but it drives Like a tractor, this was when my father bought a 710m pinz....the first pinz in Belgium....i tought i've could beat hip with the mog....sure its stronger but not able to follow That pinz...to slow, to heavy , bad suspension when driving it fast off road.....sold it and then bought my first pinz 710m.....ive had 4....and one 710k....ive had 2 Volvo' s ....one c303 and one tgb1111 and they come verry close to a pinzgauer.....but for me the pinz wins even here, its lichter has a much closser turning circle and the engine has more bottom power....but my steam was a 716k....ive spend 5 years searching for one and then had the Lucky to but one....its the best thing ive ever owned .....and these are just my 4x4"s.
Live been driving pinzgauers nog for 20 years....ive only broke one rear driveshaft ones thats it....i had a whole lot more repairs on all the other cars....but the pinz, its Like a swiss army knive..it will never let you down. 8-)

Joeri

Post by Joeri » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Here's a picture of mine.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Pinzgauer is more expensive to buy and keep on the road than the Land Rovers but will outperform the Land Rovers is most situations. Also not a lot goes wrong with Pinzgauers if you get a later model one. The P80s had issues with them mostly rectified with the P90 and P93.

I have off roaded a lot of vehicles over the years and Pinzgauer diesel models are hard to beat. Ground clearance is excellent Side slopes are more of an issue with the Pinnies.

They do like to be used they dont like being stood for long as the oil seals tend to leak when they are not used.

You will break a Land Rover a lot easier than a Pinnie. You just have to make sure that the oils are changed and are the correct specification.

Knighty

Post by Knighty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Joeri wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Great looking Pinz, Joeri! Just taken my 718K to the body shop for a full respray in Silicon Silver colour... the only similarity to a Land Rover! (Their paint colour!)

Joeri

Post by Joeri » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Knighty wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:06 pm
Joeri wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Great looking Pinz, Joeri! Just taken my 718K to the body shop for a full respray in Silicon Silver colour... the only similarity to a Land Rover! (Their paint colour!)
Thank you but its not the original colour, the original colour was a mat green but not the army green....i've been told That this was common on the testvehicle's at steyr puch in Grazz . Funny Things is That mine is registrated as a '89 year but a frind of mine has a 86/87 year registration but his vin number is way higher Than mine , when i bought it they told me That it has been a test vehicle at steyr for 4/ 5 years....so i guess when it did its duty at steyr it never left the site so no need for a registation...but when they sold it after those 4/ years they registrated it as a ' 89......but its one of the first 10 that where build . Then i found out its a 12v one so i looked deeper and found out That its a original civillian version....i have seen That there were 211 civillian td pinzgauers build but off those 211 were more 6x6 (718) and more RHD Than LHD ...so i dont know how many LHD 716k civillian ones are made but i guess never more Than 100 ? I turns a pinzgauer completley if you paint it in a different colour Than army green. :D

Joeri

Post by Joeri » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Mine is a mercedes G wagon colour...the alu rims are from ssangyoung rexton, they fit ;)

chugga90

Post by chugga90 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:10 am

I also agree that yours is very smart and cool looking.
Silver or red would be my colour choice if I have one and get a budget for paint saved up!

What is the wheel PCD please?
Thanks